Easter has always been a celebration of Spring for me. And originally, Easter is indeed a pagan festival. The most widely-practiced customs on Easter Sunday relate to the symbol of the rabbit (‘Easter bunny’) and the egg. The rabbit was a symbol associated with Eostre, representing the beginning of Springtime. Likewise, the egg has come to represent Spring, fertility and renewal.
Whether you celebrate the resurrection of Christ or the goddess Eostre, there is no better way than to celebrate Easter with seasonal recipes. Try one of these and have a lovely Easter.
Easter Eggnog Chia Pudding
2 fresh organic egg yolks
2 cups coconut milk
1 tbsp coconut or muscovado sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1 tbsp whiskey/ rum (optional)
2 tbsp of chia seeds
1. Heat the milk with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger powder. I prefer to grind my spices just before making the recipe as the aroma and taste is incomparable.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar.
3. While still whisking, pour a bit of the hot liquid on the egg yolk - sugar mixture.
4. Now add the egg-yolk - sugar mixture to the coconut milk, heat on very low (do not let boil!). Add alcohol, if desired and a bit of grated nutmeg.
5. Let cool completely. Blend with 2 tablespoons chia seeds.
6. Store in the fridge overnight.