Hemp Seeds - The Ultimate Healing Food
Hemp seeds, or hemp hearts, are the seeds of the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa). Many people ignore hemp seeds because they think they could get 'high'. Yes, marijuana comes from the same plant, but hemp seeds only contain a trace amount of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the active ingredient in marijuana. As a matter of fact, you should include hemp seeds and hemp seed oil in your diet as they are both very healthy.
What's in a Hemp Seed
1. Gamma-Linolenic acid (GLA): building block for prostaglandins — hormone-like chemicals in the body that help smooth muscles, control inflammation and body temperature.
2. Powerful in relieving rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
3. Hemp can help you feel full longer and reduce sugar cravings as it is a high-fiber food. They also can help relieve constipation.
4. Naturally high in healthy fats. In fact, hemp seeds contain over 30% fat. They are rich in omega-6 and omega-3 fats (ratio at 3:1).
5. Plant based protein rich food for vegetarians.
6. Hemp seeds are also a great source of vitamin E and minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
7. Highly digestible and gluten-free.
Overnight Hemp 'Oatmeal'
A very nutritious, protein-rich breakfast, prepared in no time.
3 tbsp hemp hearts
1 tbsp Peanut butter
1 tsp chia seeds
4 tbsp almond milk (homemade or store-bought)
1. Add all ingredients to a bowl or jar. Mix together thoroughly.
2. Place in the refrigerator over night.
3. Enjoy for easy breakfast.