Healthy Halloween treats are fairly difficult to find. Imagine all that cheap chocolate with no real cacao in it and artificial flavourings hidden in almost all candy. These chocolate treats use paleo pound cake as a base, which is then cut in three parts and covered with 70 % dark chocolate. Yummy! Happy Halloween!
Pound Cake Halloween Treats
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup water chestnut flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup honey (or a combination of honey and maple syrup)
2/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp. coconut milk
For decoration: dark chocolate, Halloween sprinkles that don't contain high fructose corn syrup*
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 180 C. Prepare a 9x9 baking pan by coating the interior lightly with butter or coconut oil. Place parchment paper to the bottom of the pan.
2. Sift dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
3. Place oil and honey or maple syrup in the bowl of a food processor and process for 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
5. Add coconut milk and continue to process until well combined.
6. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine using a wooden spoon until smooth.
7.Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
8.Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely.
9.Cut the pound cake in three and cut out circles with a help of a round cookie cutter.
10. Dissolve the chocolate over a pot of boiling water or in a microwave.
11.Dip each circle in chocolate, put on parchment paper and sprinkle with Halloween sprinkles. Wait until the chocolate sets and then transfer to a plate.
* it is difficult to find some Halloween sprinkles without high fructose corn syrup, because it is a very cheap ingredient. However, HFCS can punch holes in our intestinal lining and trigger an inflammatory response. As we now know, chronic inflammation is the root cause of all chronic diseases. Always check the label and chose rather plain white sugar, also damaging but not as much as HFCS.