I guess many of us are used to have a bowl of corn flakes or some kind of breakfast cereal in the morning. Every commercial says it´s healthy, right? Considering the amount of sugar in many breakfast cereals, they are often far from healthy. And when you go gluten free as I do, you can even forget to walk through the aisle of breakfast cereals. The good thing is that you can make your own granola at home plus save money.
Homemade Breakfast Granola
100 grams honey or maple syrup
100 grams salted butter or coconut oil
2 tbsp cacao
100 grams dark chocolate (optional)
100 grams nuts plus 200 grams oats/ for grain free mixture of nuts (almonds, walnuts etc.), chopped
dried fruit (bananas, dates, cranberries... - optional
1. Melt coconut oil or butter with honey or maple syrup and cacao.
2. Add a bit of salt (in case you are using salted butter, omit the salt)
3. Mix well with dry ingredients.
4. Bake on a parchment paper at 180 C until slightly brown (don't let burn) for about 10 minutes. Check every few minutes and stir.
5. Let cool completely. When cooled, remove from the parchment paper and store in an airtight container. Some people are sensible to avenin in oats, if you chose oats always check if they have gluten free option.